rise and root

***

~*~*~*~



The Flame Haired Solstice Dreamer

Cold winter brings the Everfrost and jewels every tree
In a forest new as birth and old as old can be
A flame~haired dreamer wanders there and shelters from the wind
And spins her dreams around the trees to break the ties that bind
She takes her thread and spins anew and how the Greenwood smiles
As she spins a spell for freedom and for her spirit Wylde

The dreamer finds an ancient oak and shelters in his lee
In a forest new as birth and old as old can be
Tis summer now and birdsong weaves its magick through her spells
And humming bees drum drowsily in the foxglove's bells
The dreamer sits beneath the oak with yarn upon her knee
And spins and knits and weaves her dreams and sets her spirit free

***
"When birds fall from the sky and the animals are dying, a new tribe of people...shall come unto the earth from many colors, classes, creeds, who by their actions and deeds shall make the earth green again. they will be known as the warriors of the Rainbow"

Hopi Prophecy

the journey continues to devon



merry meet )o(
these new forest ponies were just outside of a village called Burley, that we have to pass through on our way to Brockenhurst, i had hoped that there would be some donkeys to photograph but they were obviously busy elsewhere!
autumn does not seem to have reached the forest yet and the threes were still green with only a hint of the red,orange and gold i was hoping for, although up on the moor land it was very chilly and feeling quite desolate. not in a dreadful way though, more peaceful now that the summer tourists have left the area. we took the longer route to mum's via a road through a pine forest, known locally as 'ten bends' my favourite route to the village as we drive down a long hill through moorland and see the first cottages of the village sited down two dead end lanes called north and south weirs.it is a picturesque as it sounds.

driving home at 1am this morning the journey was magical as we had the moon shining down from totally clear skies and as our journey took us beyond any built up areas the whole land was bathed in the most amazing silvery light, it felt so special.

sam had brought me a gift from her recent yearly trip to Padstow~where she goes primarily to eat at Rick Steins fish and chip shop! but she went to the witchcraft museum in boscastle and brought me back the beautiful Green Man i have pictured here. I am so pleased with it!

Seth Lakeman and his band were fantastic and even sam enjoyed herself, although she took herself off to watch from the seats at the back, leaving me up front. this was the third time i have seen seth and his band and i have to say it was the best yet as they did a wide range of old and new songs and it had a really lively feel to it with invitations to hoedown! it was at this point i wished that sam was down the front with me as we are great 'hoe-downers' of old, when we used to follow a new forest based band called The Cropdusters~sort of hoe-down punk. it seemed that the folk up front last night were scared to move except to clap which was a real shame.

however i am hoping for better tonight...yes i am off again tonight to see them play at exeter university great hall and as this is their home ground i expect it to be as it was in december ~ much more riotous!

on that note i shall close here and have a look to see if there is a fish and chip shop in honiton i have a hankering for chips!

4 comments:

Leanne said...

I love your new Green Man face Lee. He has such a nice expression! I have several of these too, and every one has a different expression, and thats what makes them so nice! Lucky you to see Seth two nights in a row, . the moonlit drive home sounded magical.

Leanne x

Miss Robyn said...

I love your Green Man too! I think that when I eventually get there, I will have to bring an extra suitcase for all the things that I will be wanting to buy. I want to buy a moon gazing hare too!
I loved reading of your drive home.. I can just imagine. The Full Moon was magnificent !
The Witchcraft Museum ? Oh my ... I wanna come over now!! I found a wonderful website about a witch in Cornwall... she has a shop somewhere in Penzance I think.

AC said...

Sounds Great...love the Green Man..I have a similar one in my garden.
Thank you to both you and Swampy for your kind wishes. They were much appeciated.
Take care,
Alison x

Amy said...

I liked reading your recents posts. The photos are gorgeous. The pony stole my heart. There is something magical about that photo. My life has been a rat race and I want to be in a cottage in the forest sewing, gardening and playing a tin whistle for the fairies. Wasn't the moon gorgeous last night?

All things share the same breath~the beast, the tree, the man, the air shares its spirit with all the life it supports.



Chief Seattle






Johney Gaul~1915

Johney Gaul~1915
1890-17 september 1918~France