rise and root

***

~*~*~*~



The Flame Haired Solstice Dreamer

Cold winter brings the Everfrost and jewels every tree
In a forest new as birth and old as old can be
A flame~haired dreamer wanders there and shelters from the wind
And spins her dreams around the trees to break the ties that bind
She takes her thread and spins anew and how the Greenwood smiles
As she spins a spell for freedom and for her spirit Wylde

The dreamer finds an ancient oak and shelters in his lee
In a forest new as birth and old as old can be
Tis summer now and birdsong weaves its magick through her spells
And humming bees drum drowsily in the foxglove's bells
The dreamer sits beneath the oak with yarn upon her knee
And spins and knits and weaves her dreams and sets her spirit free

***
"When birds fall from the sky and the animals are dying, a new tribe of people...shall come unto the earth from many colors, classes, creeds, who by their actions and deeds shall make the earth green again. they will be known as the warriors of the Rainbow"

Hopi Prophecy

~affirmations~

my head has been a whirling mass of thoughts over the past few days, i have not been able to do anything constructive and i cannot blame my cold as that is all but gone now...in fact bret over at this guy's journey has mentioned feeling stuck~i know exactly what he means.

all i am wanting to do is sit curled up in the warm and read but i have my essay to get finished and start work for two bits of written exam work in january. in fact i am not even sat at my desk today, i have dragged my laptop to the sofa with a mug of lemon tea and here i sit, trying to get myself motivated to do my essay. i have all the major draft work done, all i need to do is start to type it out...can i do that?
no!

i have had the land in my head a lot lately and maybe i need to clear all of this out before i start on anything else.

we drove out through the forest the other day and i could not take my eyes from out of the window at the passing woods and heathland~the colors have been changing slowly over the past month and now the forest is at its most wintry...

the sun, when we see it is lower in the sky and we are less than a month from the time of the shortest day, the winter solstice, the time of the return of the sun...although i don't really celebrate the solstices or equinoxes in the same way as i do the main festivals, something always stirs within me at these times~maybe some ancient memory passed down the many, many years from my ancestors, people who were tied to the cycle of the seasons.

there are hundreds of megalithic sites scattered all around europe which were orientated to the solstices and equinoxes so it is not hard to accept that they were important to those who created them~and although we do not know exactly why they were created there is nothing to stop us searching deep inside ourselves for meaning if we feel the stirrings of something

i guess its the stirrings inside of me that are so distracting~i have been getting my green man trees oracle cards out more lately and reading through 'a tree in your pocket'


i have been having a feeling of self affirmation of who i am and what i believe growing within me~its almost as if my pagan path has taken a slightly new direction, as it has with many of us at some point, and i am secure enough with myself to accept it and go with it. its actually a nice feeling. although i have always followed a solitary path but being the human i am with human doubts, i have had the odd niggle over the years of~when i finally put a name to my beliefs~ 'not doing it right', even though my inner soul told me otherwise.

although i have my little alter here i do not have a wand, i don't create my sacred space in line with the elements as i don't work with the elements, i do not believe in the 'goddess and god' and i don't have the same affinity with the moon as some of my pagan friends have~my beliefs lie in the three realms of sea, land and sky~hence my triple spirals~realms that are always around me

~i find i am being drawn to the old church...or rather the place that existed before the old church existed within the earthworks up on the hill...a connection with the spirit of the place, the land, which considering a huge part of my maternal line has been within 40 miles of my village for at least 600 years sort of makes sense to me.

new grange 2007 solstice

3 comments:

al hayball said...

mate, sounds like you're struggling at the moment. Good luck with your quest.
alx

Anonymous said...

The thing I like best about being on a pagan path is that you can't really get it wrong, we are all different and accepting and open to any possibility. I love to hear what others are doing.

I keep J M Paterson's 'Tree Wisdom' on my desk. Trees are my thing too and I obsessively draw green men.

JuliaB said...

Hi. An interesting post. I think of all the fire festivals, midwinter is my favourite and probably the one i relate to the ancestors of this land the very most. Their celebrations of the return of light and sense of real community through the darkness of winter is something which must have been so very joyous - in exactly the same way that it is for us now despite the many conveiences at our fingertips. The winter is still difficult in many of the same ways. I can feel stirrings too and for me it is the spirit of the season nudging me into awakening, very slowly, ready for the next part of the growth cycle ahead. And whilst still I am in hibernation mode, not stuck but quite overwhelmed, and will be until the solstice, it already feels very exciting. I see paganism very much as our natural spirituality and therefore must be guided from within. Without that acceptance, we would not be able to to find inspiration or connection. xx

All things share the same breath~the beast, the tree, the man, the air shares its spirit with all the life it supports.



Chief Seattle






Johney Gaul~1915

Johney Gaul~1915
1890-17 september 1918~France